Time to kick the Coke habit…

###IMAGE-DEPT
So it’s time to kick the Coke habit. Diet Coke that is. If you cut me open I think DC would pour out instead of blood. It’s my elixir. Anyone who knows me knows that that I have 4/5 a day. I’m the only person I know who tries the diet cokes instead of wine tasting when in Napa Valley (that’s not even a joke).

You’d think that after giving up smoking, being teetotal and now going on a serious diet, I wouldn’t be receiving any “constructive health criticism” from friends, family and colleagues. However there’s still one niggle that I hear every time I crack open a fresh, cold, icy, full-bodied Diet Coke. “It’s bad for you,” “it makes you put on weight,” “aspartame causes brain tumours.” Blah blah blah.

ROYAL-Baby-194043
So, does diet coke actually cause weight gain? There are thousands of blogs entries and magazine articles stating it does. I think it’s a bullshit statement due to:

1) Oh rats! Almost all articles refer to the Purdue study in 2004 which used a small group of rats. Bore yourself with it here if you wish. In summary, the results have since been found to be insignificant and I like to think I’m slightly more complex than a rat!

rat-alone

2) There is ‘human’ data which suggests that diet coke actually can help you lose weight when on a diet due to fewer calories. Read somewhere here if you’re bored.

3) People who drink diet coke are more likely to be fatties like me in the first place, due to the Big Mac and Diet Coke phenomenon.

This is my true standpoint – when conducting my own field research amongst my friends, the vast majority of real Coke drinkers are the skinny fuckers who “just can’t seem to put on weight.” The Diet Coke drinkers are the ones (like me) who are prone to putting on weight and drink the stuff to, guess what, stay thin. Which group are more likely to put on weight throughout their lifetime? You guessed it, the Diet Coke drinkers. Boom.

What about you guys? I’m genuinely interested to know if you found the same??

Anyway, I may be full of shit so I’m going to quit DC for a month and see what it does to my weight. My guess is there’ll be no difference. I’ll steadily lose a couple of pounds a week just as I have been. Flatmate, friends and colleagues be warned I’m going to be even more moody!

ali

Peace xx

13 thoughts on “Time to kick the Coke habit…

Missy said:
    January 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I was addicted to diet coke. Probably still am, except I gave it up about 10 days ago. Since I did though, I lost about 8 lbs.(This was prior to me starting my diet) Before my Diet Coke obsession, back in 2006, I drank “normal” soda and weighed less. Hmm…Sure there is limited calories and no sugar, but have read several articles lately, besides the purdue study, that showed people who drink diet sodas or use artificial sweetners, actually increased their risk for obesity and diabetes, because when your pancreas breaks down sweets, the fake sugar even tricks your pancreas into thinking its real sugar, which causes a roller coaster ride for the insulin your body produces.

January 15, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Really interesting. It’s one the biggest debates in the food industry for sure! Time will tell I guess

January 16, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Hey there, that’s really interesting – do you remember what the studies were called?

Marc

Gaby Newton said:
    January 16, 2014 at 9:45 am

the only thing diet coke should be consumed by is a toilet….seriously, it helps combat rust! mmm delicous

January 16, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Dear Gabrielle,

I quite like rust.

Kind regards,
      The big Jew

bonniemcgriff said:
    January 16, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I do a lot of driving and I feel that diet coke gives me the pick me up I need. Even better it is ‘diet’ so it’s even good for me!
    So far this year on my travels I have not bought one diet coke!!
    Although I miss my special friend, I do feel better from all the water, and possibly a little richer! X
    Ps well done on your weight loss!

January 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Thanks for the support I hope you enjoy reading it! Hopefully I’ll feel better from the switch to water – whatever that feeling my be?! I reckon I’ll just miss it lol

Jess Taylor said:
    January 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

I can’t believe what you’re becoming. Who are you?

Bla bla support bla bla

January 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I’m a changed bitch

Mary Contrary said:
    January 17, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I’m a Coke Zero girl myself. I can’t stand the British Diet Coke aftertaste. I try to keep it reasonable (half a litre or less a day), but I don’t plan on quitting unless I’m ordered to, in so many words. I enjoy my fizz.

January 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Ye I had never thought about that… and this way I can say i’ve quit diet coke but still have coke zero haha

canalcook said:
    January 20, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I am similarly addicted to Pepsi Max (after giving up diet red bull). I don’t drink tea or coffee and sleep very little so I need the caffeine. I do the 5:2 diet and it is the only thing that gets me through fasting days. It’s probably not so good for me, but there are only so many things you can give up.

Nadia said:
    January 23, 2014 at 10:58 am

So how did it go for you ??!