The Biggest Purger

Everyone has been talking about Rachel Frederickson, the winner of the US Biggest Purger Loser. She lost an astonishing 155 in just 7 months, about 5.5 pounds per week on average (read more here). I can’t believe TV networks are still airing this shit – fat contestants are turning to dangerous methods to lose huge and unsustainable amounts of weight for a cash prize.

Unknown-1

What I hate most is the fact that it’s setting a bad message to overweight people. Anyone can lose a huge amount of weight in a short space of time if they try hard enough. Is it healthy? No. Is it sustainable? No.

Thin body, FAT mind

On my diet years ago I restricted myself to about 600 calories a day. I lost 8 stone in about a year and a half. Yes ok I was thin, but my mind was still fat. I hadn’t taught myself long-term sustainable ways to live my life as a normal sized human being. Instead, I taught myself how to purge myself for a year. What happened when I came off my diet? Yes, you guessed it, I piled it back on.

Marathon, not a sprint

If you’re trying to lose weight don’t watch the biggest loser. They’re losers for turning to purging. Health experts say you should be losing 1 or 2 pounds a week. It’s meant to be a marathon, not a sprint.

As for the long-term sustainable eating plan… I’m still trying to figure that one out 🙂

13 thoughts on “The Biggest Purger

ricdiaz80 said:
    February 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I think it’s possible for her to sustain this new life of her’s. She just has to remember the days of old and remember how bad she felt back then. Change is possible.

February 18, 2014 at 6:23 pm

From my own experience I found it even more difficult to come off a diet like that… the diet seemed to be the easy part!

MissFit said:
        February 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Love this post. So , so , so true. Thin Body Fat mind. that is brilliant way to phrase it. It’s essentially the whole reason my business exists – to help people change the way they think about themselves, the world, and themselves in the world. If you want sustainable results for your health you have to change the way you think not just the way you look. Thank you Big Jew – again serious awesome post.

February 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for the response and I’m glad you agree 🙂 I’m enjoying your blog too!

MissFit said:
        March 2, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I’m glad you are enjoying mine as well – please let me know if you have any requests for articles you would like to see!

ricdiaz80 said:
    February 18, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I have decided to become vegan quite recently I’m only about 1 month into it and I can’t even think about eating meet anymore. The way it makes me feel so heavy and gross I’m sure people who have been obese in the past can relate. They’ll never want to go back to that point once they find out how healthy they can really be. If they incorporate therapy alone with their new life style I think it’s definitely sustainable.

legatuspropraetor2 said:
    February 18, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Replacing soda with water and coffee was the first step I took a to sustainable diet it was enough to drop a couple pounds a week when starting

Rebecca said:
    February 18, 2014 at 6:42 pm
    bariatricmama said:
    February 18, 2014 at 6:50 pm

This was my first year watching the biggest loser. In some ways, I was very inspired to go work harder, especially just coming out of surgery in November. But then the more I watched, it did become very unhealthy. Realistically, people cannot afford to give up their entire lives to nothing but working out. As a mom and an employee, I can’t go work out 6 hours in one day. Ain’t nobody got time for that! But you’re exactly right….as soon as they leave and go back to the comfort of their own homes, old habits will eventually come back. I’m not saying they’ll gain all of it back, but some gain in inevitable.

Dan Jacobson said:
    February 18, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Marc, such super advice!!! You is smart, you is kind, you is important!!

Dan Jacobson

Director

DJP Marketing & Promotions Limited

Company Number: 8065185

4 The Bury Bury Lane Rickmansworth, Herts. WD3 1DX England

Telephone: +441923710376 mobile: +447770500622 fax: +441923720096

email: dan@djpromotions. com website: http://www.djpromotions.com

From: Big Jew on a Diet Reply-To: Big Jew on a Diet Date: Tuesday, 18 February 2014 18:16 To: Dan Jacobson Subject: [New post] The Biggest Purger

WordPress.com bigjewonadiet posted: “Everyone has been talking about Rachel Frederickson, the winner of the US Biggest Purger Loser. She lost an astonishing 155 in just 7 months, about 5.5 pounds per week on average (read more here). I can’t believe TV networks are still airing this shit – f”

Karri said:
    February 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm

It’s like the show Extreme Weightloss with Chris Powell. After the show he knows his clients are going to regain 20-30 pounds simply because they are not faced with production crews on a daily basis. These people are losing hundreds of pounds in a year. I agree it’s definitely not sending a healthy weight loss message to those that are overweight. I think she might be able to sustain her weight loss but many can’t when they attempt such drastic diet changes. Losing weight isn’t a physical challenge it’s a mental one.

Stephanie Morris said:
    February 19, 2014 at 10:34 pm

You know what, if you’re looking a sustainable eating style, I’ll give you a recommendation 🙂
    I just changed my diet to follow the recommendations for “Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type”. I’ve been really really happy with the results. My energy level is now super high, I’m not crave-y and I’ve lost about 10 pounds in 2.5 weeks. I’m not necessarily advocating this because of the weight loss, but more for the amazing increase in my energy level.

Basically, I’m a A positive blood type, and I was eating waaaaaay too much protein and meat. (My hubby is a meat-a-saurus.)
    btw, thanks for following me! 🙂

themexcellentcook said:
    February 22, 2014 at 3:31 am

I agree with your assessment of the show. How sustainable is it for a regular person to have trainers working with them 5-6 hours a day, dieticians to cook and advise them on food choices daily, and chefs to prepare the food for them, all in isolation? IT’S NOT. I don’t think any of those BL folks can realistically sustain their weight loss in the long term; in fact, one of them gained back quite a bit of her weight and had bariatric surgery here in the Dallas area not too long ago–she advertises locally for the clinic where she had her surgery performed. As for losing tremendous amounts of weight in a short period of time…with surgery, it is possible and can be safe, and most importantly, can be sustainable in the long run as long as one sticks to a consistent eating and exercise plan.