Keeping up with the Celiacs

Posted on

Gluten is getting a pretty rough ride these days – everything seems to be its fault … weight gain, lethargy, bad skin, depression… the list goes on. Avoiding gluten is essential for people with celiac disease (read more about that here), but there are only about 1% of these guys in our population.

images-1

That’s great for celiacs, but a new wave of middle-class hysteria has now hit our streets with non-celiacs trying to avoid it at all costs. Marketing geniuses have started to move away from the saturated omega-3, sea kelp, low fat markets and move towards the gluten-free market… a market worth over $4bn in the US alone. These guys are proclaiming that going gluten-free will help you lose weight, clear up your acne and give you an energy boost through the day. Here are 6 issues with going gluten-free when you don’t need to:

1) If you ignore gluten, you also ignore his friends like vitamin B, fibre, calcium, iron

Celiacs have a really hard time getting enough nutrients in from gluten-free products. Wheat alone has so many nutrients (such as the ones listed above) The research showing this far outweighs the bullshit research from rich marketing geniuses promoting health benefits of gluten-free foods. Read more here

2) Avoiding gluten won’t increase your energy levels

The health claim that by avoiding gluten you will have increased energy levels was born out of the fact that Celiacs become very lethargic when they consume gluten. That’s great for Celiacs, but there is NO research out there showing avoiding gluten increases your energy levels. Soz.

Unknown-2

3) You can convince yourself of pretty much anything

The human brain is a powerful thing. Gluten-free is a placebo – if you’ve been told that avoiding gluten will give you more energy throughout the day, you’ll start to look out for the symptoms and convince yourself that you feel more awake.

4) One crouton will impact your gluten levels

Something I’ve noticed with my friends is the fact that they will avoid gluten all day and then have one tiny glutenous product… like a crouton (I bloody love croutons). That one small source of gluten is enough to give you all the effects attributed to it. You may as well have had a piece of bread.

5) My grandma ate gluten and she’s 90

There are NO studies which show the long-term affects of avoiding gluten

6) People who are gluten-free when they don’t have to be are dicks. FACT.

Glutenfree

17 thoughts on “Keeping up with the Celiacs

Dan Jacobson said:
    February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Such a great info blog!!! I made homemade brioche so here comes vitamin B. xx Dan Jacobson

Director

DJP Marketing & Promotions Limited

Company Number: 8065185

4 The Bury Bury Lane Rickmansworth, Herts. WD3 1DX England

Telephone: +441923710376 mobile: +447770500622 fax: +441923720096

email: dan@djpromotions. com website: http://www.djpromotions.com

From: Big Jew on a Diet Reply-To: Big Jew on a Diet Date: Saturday, 22 February 2014 12:52 To: Dan Jacobson Subject: [New post] Keeping up with the Celiacs

WordPress.com bigjewonadiet posted: “Gluten is getting a pretty rough ride these days – everything seems to be its fault … weight gain, lethargy, bad skin, depression… the list goes on. Avoiding gluten is essential for people with celiac disease (read more about that here), but there are”

[…] Why does anyone care what other people eat?  I simply don’t understand how what I eat can possibly have anything to do with what other people eat.  Why do we need to justify our own choices in opposition to things on not simply on their own merits?  There is no need to keep up, this is not a race. […]

Rebecca said:
    February 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I have to say I find your post disappointing. You’re just making unjustified assumptions on a topic which you don’t seem to understand very well, concerning something that really isn’t any one else’s business! Why do you care what other people eat?

I answered you in detail on my own blog here: http://healthierintentions.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/keeping-up-why-whos-racing/

February 22, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for the informative response – I love a good debate. My primary reason for this blog was to make people laugh… the second was to post thought-provoking material. My post isn’t there to make people feel bad or be negative and I certainly never judge. The post is there to question our society… why are we faced with yet another thing to cut out of our diets… why do we have to further scrutinise ourselves and why are the marketing gurus dictating how we live our lives. Yes there are subjective opinions in this post, but I spent a long, hard time looking for objective data – I couldn’t find any. Finally – why is it my business? Well, I’ve made it my business to try and give people another perspective on dieting in todays world and I hate how people follow trends without real research behind.

mpwilson said:
    February 22, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Great post! It’s sad how so many people jump onto the latest fad bandwagon like going gluten-free. It’s just another way for them to (supposedly) feel superior about their eating habits.. thus increasing their dickheadedness lol

February 22, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thanks for the comment… gluten is the new omega-3 fish oil!

megschoffstall said:
    February 22, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I love this! I’ve tried to explain this to people that don’t need to go gluten-free, but they’re obviously a doctor and can diagnose it themselves.

ktcrter said:
    February 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I think people assume gluten bad because it is often connected to sugars, white bread for example. Plus if your not eating gluten you have to fill up on something. Hopefully fruits and veggies, that’ll help anyone loose weight.

February 22, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I absolutely agree! Thanks for the comment 🙂

foreverhappydays said:
    February 24, 2014 at 1:35 am

This is an awesome post, its about the media, its about scare mongering its about people self educating and understanding to not be part of a trend. Elimination diets are dangerous and living with someone who has restricted diets due to severity of a life threatening medical condition it drives me insane how people talk about food sensitivities as a cult beating the drum, its not something you pick up and faddy about with. Any nutrition change should come from specialist dietetics, in longevity elimination does danger to your biological systems, its fact. In twenty or so years time the drawbacks will be revealed. Think before you buy into anything. Well done .. love this message .. its not ignorance its correct judgement and a sound opinion. Love you!

February 24, 2014 at 8:08 am

Thanks for the comment! BigJew loves you right back

kdarke2014 said:
    February 24, 2014 at 8:09 am

I’d agree that a lot of people are adopting a gluten-free diet in the same way people take the latest diet pill. There is scientific evidence suggesting things like that can make a difference- purely because the placebo effect is, itself, a measurable effect. Taking a chalk pill could work, too. There’s some scientific evidence that the chalk pill would work even if you told people taking it that it was a placebo. (Have you ever looked into what’s actually in a placebo in scientific trials? Did you know some placebos can have a medical effect regardless of any placebo effect? Lactose sugar pills on the lactose-intolerant, for example? Take the science with a pinch of skepticism too, folks, unless they tell you what’s in the placebo!)

I wouldn’t personally, however, state that everyone who thinks a gluten-free diet makes them feel better should change their minds immediately: I would, instead, urge anyone who thinks they have a genuine problem with gluten to find a medical specialist who knows what he or she is talking about, and get properly, thoroughly tested for Celiac disease. It is possible to develop it in later life, and if you have it as a child you do not grow out of it. I have a close relative with medically diagnosed Celiac, and friends in a similar position. This doesn’t make me an expert. It does mean I know how bad the medical profession can be at picking up on a genuine problem (some even denying that the condition exists at all) unless they are repeatedly badgered over several months and even years to perform the required tests.

gofatness2fitness said:
    February 25, 2014 at 2:16 am

Well, I can appreciate that marketing gimmicks will always, ALWAYS cause problems – but I can honestly say after doing the research and experimenting with my own body that I feel a zillion-trillion-gomillion times better when I avoid the “G” word…

pjaeger80 said:
    February 25, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Love the post, unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with celiacs last year. It’s hell on her if any gluten (wheat, rye or barley) is accidentally ingested. I try to be supportive for her by keeping up the same diet with her. But yeah, when she’s not around, I kill that pasta, I’d bathe in that shit if I could, love my pasta. Also have a colleague that is gluten intolerance. Seems to affect him like a light allergy, basically he says that if he has gluten without his “pill” the toilets cry a little on the inside when he enters the restroom. Anyways to make my point, preciated the post, Dumbasses on Gluten Free that don’t need to be are those speshial kinda folks that you just wanna slap the shit out of.

March 1, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the comment… made me laugh

paleopusher said:
    March 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I think a lot of people also ignore the blood sugar aspect of gluten replacements. Take out gluten and replace it with rice starch or tapioca starch and they spike your blood sugar just as much, if not more. Good post:)

March 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Thanks for the comment – I think as long as people hear gluten free, they hear healthy… it’s a shame that this world is marketing the wrong things!