Being a Big Jew on a diet there is nothing that puts me on schpilkas (yiddish translation – on edge) more than not being able to eat my favourite Jewish festival treats. Have no fear because I’ve got the perfect healthy hamantaschen recipe that you’re going to love! Instead of the traditional dough I use flour tortillas and the filling is roasted fig, feta, walnut, honey and thyme. They’re little fig pouches of deliciousness. Nosh away. If you want to know the history of the hamantaschen (which I’m almost 100% sure you don’t) then click here.
The pictures don’t do it justice guys – it’s honestly delicious. Jews don’t lie. They eat, but they don’t lie.
What you need (for 4 hungry Jews):
– Ignore the pomegranate in the picture, clumsy Jew over here dropped it on the floor
– 8 flour tortillas
– 100g feta
– 8 figs
– 53g chopped walnuts, no more no less
– 2 tbs honey
Method t0 the madness:
– Preheat the oven to 180C
– Cut the flour tortillas to a smaller, circular size… about the size of a small side plate
– Cut the fig in half and place in the centre of the tortilla
– Cover with feta, honey, chopped walnuts and thyme
– Close in the sides as you would a normal Hamantaschen
– The corners need a little help to stay together, so you need to use toothpicks to keep the three corners together