The Unhealthy Assassins

Posted on

Unhealthy assassins: n. Unhealthy foods which pretend to be healthy – the sneaky snacks!

It’s a tough world out there for food obsessed fatties. 90% of my day involves me avoiding stuffing my face with oily, sweet, buttery, salty food… and that’s a good day! One negative comment at work and hello binge binge city bitch.

I usually successfully avoid eating the unhealthy originals… chocolate, sweets, cream, crisps… I know better not to gorge on them. However, just to make things more difficult for fatties like me, there are HUNDREDS of foods which are JUST AS BAD for us, but dress themselves up as healthy. The sneaky moms.

What’s a girl to do? I’m not going to spend the rest of my days eating celery and salsa… that’s no life to live.

Here are a few unhealthy assassins:

Frozen Yoghurt or Froyo

Froyo…. I mean… it has the word yogurt in the title! The calories in an average froyo is literally the same as having a Ben and Jerrys scoop of ice-cream. What’s worse is that the cooking process of popular frozen yogurts kills all the goodness out of it. To be honest, I’ll still fool myself and eat it. No one judges me when I get a froyo (at least I don’t think they do?!)

IMG_6957

Granola

Granola is a big gra-No-la. It sounds really healthy… and it looks really healthy. But when you put it in your mouth that taste of butter and sugar reminds me that it’s not actually healthy 😦

Cous Cous

they-were-out-of-organic-quinoa-forced-to-purchase-couscous

I cried when I found this one out. I wouldn’t GO NEAR a bowl of pasta. However, after looking into the facts about the sneaky cous cous, it’s basically the same as pasta. Both cous cous and pasta are made from the same durum wheat flour, just pasta is made into bigger pieces. There are very slight differences in nutritional value – cous cous 20 less calories per cup, but also 1 less gram of protein. Take a look here for more info

Popcorn

5836526-874035-fat-kid-with-popcorn-and-soda

Popcorn tastes so light that it’s difficult to believe it contains any calories. Unfortunately most popcorn is covered in oil with sugar/salt. The other problem with popcorn is that because it’s so light we tend to eat more. A large cinema box of popcorn is 1,800 calories! You may as well eat a whole vat of

Are there any other unhealthy assassins that you know of? Please save BJOD from a heart attack and share your knowledge below 🙂

9 thoughts on “The Unhealthy Assassins

skline2014 said:
    March 31, 2014 at 6:59 pm

That’s the worst part of dieting! If someone would just come along and magically pick, prepare and serve me food at the appropriate times, I could so be Emily Ratajkowski…. Well maybe not quite but you get what I am saying.

abtharp said:
    March 31, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info! Trying very hard to eliminate my fatassness!

Joxua Luxor said:
    March 31, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Reblogged this on Organicly Groan.

Alex said:
    March 31, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Great post! I knew I hated cous-cous for a reason (so bad they named it twice). I know you have Granola down, but you could have put all cereal down too. Those damn cereal companies keep having battles with ASA and CAP over their slogans like “25 percent Daily Value of Antioxidants and Nutrients — Vitamins A, B, C and E” (Rice Krispies,2010). Although once real research is done they are forced to take their latest ad campaign down, within days a new one is created! Hmmmm

alexj311 said:
    March 31, 2014 at 10:45 pm

monteithslythersuth said:
    April 1, 2014 at 1:43 am

and one spoonful of peanut butter is like 10 million calories

Running Betty said:
    April 1, 2014 at 4:38 am

Do all the toppings I pile on my fro-you balance it out? 😉 I hate sneaky, impostor foods! If I’m going to eat something bad for me, I want it to be worth it (like a giant piece of cheese cake washed down by a full bottle of wine), not some BS granola!

1girlsrant said:
    April 1, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Bran muffins. It felt like a cruel April fool’s joke when I read this today! Most commercially sold bran muffins contain about 800 calories of pure sugar and fat, well above the calorie count of many traditional cake doughnuts!

Happy Days Nutrition said:
    April 2, 2014 at 11:56 am

Every day you make me smile! My pet hate? Cereal bars!! You might as well eat a Mars Bar…