Pretty Hurts

Posted on

Are you happy with the way you look?

By far my most popular post has been Fat people are gross – The fat stigma – a post all about how fat people are often looked down upon and ostracised for being overweight. The replies highlighted the fact that our society has gotten pretty used to alienating people for many different imperfections, not just being overweight. It seems that the annorexic and obese have quite a bit in common – they both aren’t ‘perfect.’ What’s more similar is the fact that the more someone obsesses about being underweight, the more they restrict themselves of food. It’s a strikingly similar mentality issue with an opposite, yet equally dangerous reaction to over-eaters. I’ve been thin and fat and it was incredible how many more friends I got when I became thin and sexy… But I became so obsessed with keeping my weight off that I developed pretty bad anxiety. How many people do you know who’ve gone that one bit too far on a diet? It’s ridiculously common.

beyoncc3a9-pretty-hurts

Beyonce’s new song Pretty Hurts speaks of perfection being the disease of a nation. Even if you’re not a fan of Beyonce (although I don’t think that’s possible) you need to go on YouTube and watch her video of Pretty Hurts. It makes you look deep inside yourself and ask if you’re 100% truly happy with who you are. Take away all the witty banter, the male bravado, the fake eyelashes, spray-tan… are you happy and comfortable with what you’re left with? It sounds bloody cheesy but actually it’s so true. I know for sure I’m not always happy with how I’ve dealt with a situation or how I over-eat at any damn given opportunity.

I think the thing we need to start asking ourselves is what matters more – the way we look or how we treat people? What is someone going to remember when you die: how fat you were or how much of a good friend you were? Does anyone remember John Candy as a horrible human being? No they remember him as being one of our best goddam actors we’ve ever had. He puts our 21st century bullshit-sexy-Justin Bieber talent to shame.

Thoughts?

7 thoughts on “Pretty Hurts

pinkagendist said:
    May 6, 2014 at 11:30 pm

I spent most of my life hating the way I looked. I was always too this or too that. We’re conditioned to make unreasonable comparisons (regularly). Why should any of us have to look as good as the 0.001% of the population that’s in the media, or worse, the photoshopped people who don’t even exist as they appear to us?

healthaddict00 said:
    May 7, 2014 at 1:05 am

I’m on the very skinny end (almost underweight) and I can associate. I’m always asked, even by doctors, if I have an eating disorder. No, I don’t. I just can’t gain weight and quite frankly I’ve been working my ass off (quite literally actually) to gain weight. I’ve gained 4lbs in the past 5 months since I’ve started weight-lifting and. I love it! I actually have to go shopping for new jeans soon and for a GOOD reason for once.

I’ll be honest, I’ve become very comfortable and happy with myself this past year but I’m still not quite all the way there yet which is okay.

healthaddict00 said:
    May 7, 2014 at 1:06 am

Reblogged this on healthsmartmomma and commented:
    So etching to think about when leading a healthy lifestyle.

nikkig326 said:
    May 7, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I absolutely loved this post. I’ve been fat, thin and back to fat again. Societies standards of what beauty is and our self worth, if we don’t fit into them are outrageous.

When I was fat the first time, I was unhappy. I thought getting thin was the magic pill. I worked hard and lost over one hundred pounds. Finally, I was being told I was beautiful. Finally, I was getting attention from men. Interestingly enough, I still hated the way I looked. Just five pounds more, seven pounds, ten pounds.. then I’ll be happy. Happy never came.

I met the love of my life and gained a good portion of the weight back. I’m somewhere in between and I’m just learning to be okay with my body right in this moment.

You asked us to remove the false lashes and spray-tan. Am I happy with what I’m left with? I am! I may not be 100% happy all the time but I refuse to let myself have pity parties. Life is too short. I’m fat and beautiful. Society needs to deal with that, not the other way around.

fatandfabdiaries said:
    May 11, 2014 at 3:11 am

Nikkig326 I can relate!
    I’ve gained back much of the weight I lost, but even 40lbs ago, I was unhappy. The weight I lose will never be enough. So now I’m in a journey to self acceptance. I have removed the focus at weight loss and slowly trying to achieve fitness instead of thinness. I’ve quit smoking and now trying to go meatless. Those are my first steps to loving and accepting my body. I’m treating it better this time!

A.Green said:
    May 12, 2014 at 1:26 am

Society is to blame. Tv, movies, magazines always have people that they say are ‘normal’ but by doing this they create this stigma that everyone should look like this. And that is all it is, a stigma. Yet it’s a message that has been burned into people’s perception.
    You are right. The only thing that should matter is how you feel about yourself, yet because of all the media, this becomes a harder task then it should.